Monday, October 31, 2011

Movies in Review: "The Rum Diary"

Ok so this movie was a bit of a hot drunken mess...smh. It seemed like an adventure that served no real purpose, and at the end of the day everyone just went their own separate ways...smh. You will see that there is alot going on, but by the end of the movie you will be asking yourself "what the heck was that all about". It is based on the novel of the same name, but I hope the book plays out better than the movie.

I love Johnny Depp as an actor, and there isn't a character I have yet to dislike. Although this film wasn't great, Depp did his thing as always. Giovanni Ribisi is also another actor that is at the top of my list, and who definitely deserves more lead roles (I think he may have been a better replacement for Justin for the movie "In Time")...I'm just sayin. I say all of this to say that I had no qualms with the acting, but the writing and direction are a little questionable. There was alot going on, a newspaper that is in the dumps, a beautiful women, an island for sale...oh and I can't forget the drinking. I swear the day after I watched this film I somehow had a disgust for alcohol, and I promised myself that I would stop drinking...seriously...lol.

There is hardly a dull moment in the film, but somehow it still felt dull. I guess the viewing audience is on board with this because Rum Diary did not do well at all it's opening weekend, and that's unfortunate, because it was alot better than "In Time"...C

No comments:

Post a Comment