Monday, October 24, 2011

Movies in Review: "Martha Marcy May Marlene"

If the title alone isn't enough to have you shaking your head, then the film will...smh. It is a thriller that I have to admit was somewhat thrilling. The thing that bothered me was that I was waiting in anticipation for "something" for the whole entire movie, but sadly enough, I never got it. This film will give you that feeling, but it feels like you've been cheated when there is no gratification at the end.

I didn't think the film was horrible for the most part. It was a bit fragmented though, which made it a little annoying to watch. The scenes kept switching from her in her present day life, to her in her cult living situation. It is clear that the abuse she faced within the cult has made it hard for her to function in regular society. The way some of the scenes were directed just made for dead space. It got to a point where it was like "ok we get it, she's crazy...now what". You think your "now what" will be answered, but when the credits roll you may actually find yourself sitting there for a few minutes thinking that that there was more to it that they forgot to show you...smh...Uuuuuugggghhhh!

This film however has been receiving great reviews, and all the critics seem to agree that they love it. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 86% Fresh. Maybe this is the reason why I feel so rotten that I can't say that I agree with all the positive hype around this film. I thought Elizabeth Olsen was great, and I look forward to seeing more of her work. Unfortunately the way that this story played out on the big screen felt a bit unfinished. You ever walk into a theatre with utter anticipation, 2 hrs later, walk out with the screw face :/. Its nothing you want to waste your money in the theatre to see, because no one wants to hear you screaming "WTF" throughout...lol. It was just ok to me. Here's your fair warning though...get ready to be left hanging...C

No comments:

Post a Comment