Monday, October 10, 2011

Movies in Review: "Dirty Girl"

Wow the reviews for this movie are in the can. To be very honest, the trailer didn't spark my interest whatsoever, but I somehow made it into the theatre to see this film anyway...me and about 5 other people...lol. Dirty Girl did not do well at the box offices at all! SMH...but for some reason I'm not completely sure if I thought it deserved to be defunked the way that it was.

Quite honestly there were alot of things that I enjoyed about this movie. This is a coming of age comedy mainly about 2 teenage kids in the 80's. However let me be the first to warn you that this movie is not for kids. It has alot of sexual content that would not be suitable for anyone under the age of 16 (in my opinion). I thought the movie did a great job of portraying the 80's. There is nothing about this film that won't make you feel that you are really in this time period. I also like the fact that it is a comedy that hit the mark on its humor. The characters Danielle and Clarke played by Juno Temple and Jeremy Dozier were a perfect pair. There bickering and fighting, which grows into a really strong friendship was a joy to watch. The best comic relief to me was the sack of flour (if you see the movie you will See what I'm talking about).

I believed the storyline for the most part. I'm referring to the homophobic dad and his gay son, and also the abandoned daughter searching for her father. I'm sure some young teen has dealt with something that happened in this movie, if not, it may still remind you of someone you know. All in all, I enjoyed it. The majority of critics are giving this one a thumbs down, as I did when I saw the trailer. But after watching it, it wasn't so bad at all...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment