Monday, November 19, 2018

Movies in Review: "Widows"

I think we have all been anticipating this newest film directed by award winning director Steve McQueen and written by him and the acclaimed writer Gillian Flynn. Not to mention the stellar cast the film is packed with. The trailer drew me in from my first view of it. I was very intrigued by this female led heist film. I love a female led movie #GirlPower. As much as I was looking forward to this film, Liam Neeson in the cast did cause me to have a little worry. Neeson hasn't had a great performance since Taken...ijs. However, I still remained excited on the strength of the other powerful cast members, which would include everyone but Neeson...lol. I admit I was looking forward to seeing this movie the most and was confident I would walk out of the theater pleased.

I can't say that my expectations were really met. I would have expected more with Flynn and McQueen having theirs hands on the screenplay and directing chair, but this film didn't even come close to a piece of work you would expect from them. Not to say the film was bad for and average writer or director, but the film wasn't great for them ~shrugs. The cast was cool, but the story was a little weak, especially the silly plot twist. It wasn't that the twist was bad, it just wasn't written well. The heist also wasn't written well either. There were far too many other plot stories that kept interfering with what should have been the meat and potatoes of the story, the women and the heist. As much as I loved Daniel Kaluuya performance, I felt his storyline took away from the women, who the film should have had move focus on, but instead the film was still focused on the men. Viola had a great performance, but it felt wasted in this movie. I also enjoyed Farrell's performance, but again, wasted.

I wanted to love this movie, but the story had way too many plot holes, and was far weaker than what I expected. The heist part of the film seemed short and rushed, and nearly impossible for them even to pull off. I was expecting this movie to be powerful, but it fell flat, especially at the end...B- (This film is teetering on a C, but there were some decent performances)

No comments:

Post a Comment