Monday, November 19, 2018

Movies in Review: "Green Book"

I love me some Mahershala Ali, so when I first watched the trailer for this film I knew I was going to see it. I know you had to have found that trailer entertaining enough to even put on your radar. It had a limited release this weekend and I had to take advantage of my theater being a part of the early showing. I had never heard of the jazz pianist and composer Don Shirley before seeing the trailer, but I was very interested in seeing his story of his tour experience in the deep south being played out on the big screen. My expectations were high for this film, as I smiled and laughed each time I watched the trailer, and I had to have seen the trailer more that 20 times...lol.

I knew Mahershala Ali would deliver, and he did exceptionally. However, I was quite surprised at the performance of Viggo Mortensen and the chemistry he and Ali had on-screen. The story was ok, but the performances of these two actors alone is enough to drive you to the theaters. These actors complimented each other so well. I enjoyed seeing Don Shirley's touring being played out, although there was definitely one part of his story that didn't really seem to be necessary. This movie is a little over 2hrs long, and this part of the story could have been edited out, as it really didn't seem to be real significant outside of everything else...ijs.

This movie had me smiling and laughing so hard. I experienced less anger than I expected to feel from a film like this, but instead more moments that warmed my heart. I loved this movie. For me it ranks up there with films like The Color Purple, and Love Jones, films I can watch over and over again...A

No comments:

Post a Comment