Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Movies in Review: "The Girl in the Spider's Web"

I wasn't completely sold on this film when I watched the trailer. I loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo starring Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig in the leads for the 2011 film. I loved it so much so, I was waiting for the sequel, hoping it would follow soon after. However, in 2018, the trailer for the "sequel" was released starring a whole new cast. What!? Why!? I was the least bit happy about the film being recast but decided to give it a go only because my fave Lakeith Stanfield is cast in it. I love his performances and would never purposely miss a chance to see him shine on screen. I begrudgingly went to see this movie expecting to have missed Mara and Craig.

I may have stepped into the theater grumbling, but I walked out of it surprised at how pleased I was. I kind of loved this movie. It had almost the same feel I got from the 2011 film, although Mara's performance in this role was still far better than Claire Foy's, but Ms. Foy still did her thing. The story had great action sequences and kept me on the edge of my seat. There were times I found myself unknowingly holding my breath in anticipation. This movie is thrilling and all that I could have expected from this film. Although I expected to miss Craig and Mara, I didn't. This cast really did his thing, and Stanfield (although a small role) was amazing.

I'm sure the book is far better than the film, but that says a lot because I think this film is really decent. If you enjoy a good crime thriller, then this needs to be on your list to see. It's not short on action, thrills, or elements of surprise...A-

No comments:

Post a Comment