Monday, April 2, 2018

Movies in Review: "Ready Player One"

I don't think I was as hype about this movie as much as the marketing efforts behind this film tried to make me. I viewed the trailer several times when going to see other films, and there wasn't a shortage of commercials for this film, but for some reason I wasn't moved. Yes, I was going to see it, but I can't say I would have shed a tear if I missed it ~shrugs. I had little expectations, but noticed critics favored it. However, I was more concerned with a 2hr running time for a film I could take or leave...Ugh. It had better be worth it!

Sooooooooo...I liked it...for the most part. However, I can't say I was anymore hype about it going in than when I left the theater. The move was cool. A great deal of 80's/90's references, which I suppose were supposed to be nostalgic, but I felt were overwhelming. There were so many characters and references it felt like too much to take in. I was seriously exhausted by the time this movie ended. The film was visually appealing but there is a limit to the amount of visual effects that should be jammed into 1 film. The movie felt like it focused more on all the elements around it than the character stories, but on the other hand, there were way too many characters to develop. This was one of my biggest complaints about the film. The movie keeps a great pace, but dragged a bit in the end. There are some great laughs to be had, especially during The Shining referenced scenes, one of my favorite parts of the film.

This movie definitely had a lot going on, so I can't say you will be bored. However, I would have preferred more focus on the characters, than all the visual elements around them. This is a good family film, I think older kids will definitely enjoy it...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment