Monday, April 9, 2018

Movies in Review: "Isle of Dogs"

This movie wasn't particularly on my radar because I'm not the biggest fan of stop-motion animation. Also, when I watched the trailer, my skin kind of crawled. Crawled in like a "Omg, that looks boring" kind of way.  I guess now you are wondering how I found myself in the theater and now writing this review. To my surprise, my kid wanted to see it and was all types of excited when he saw the trailer for it...smh. Ugh! I was not looking forward to seeing this film and was expecting to find myself napping on my kid's shoulder. I was grateful that the running time was reasonable and crossed my fingers for the best.

I have to admit that my interest about seeing the film only peaked when we headed out and I found the theaters that were playing it were mostly sold out. The theater we were able to get tickets to see it was also sold out. Had me now thinking my original thoughts about this film had to be all wrong...and they were. This movie was a pleasant surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was a little worried for my kid at first because there were subtitles as the characters spoke in their native language, but thankfully the film is also narrated in English. I loved this movie, but keep in mind it is rated PG-13. I was a little worried my kid wasn't enjoying it as much as I did because the story and humor was over his head, but the stop-action animated characters were enough to keep him enthralled to the end. This is an uber creative and animated film. Very well done. I enjoyed the story and the delivery of the humor.

This film was definitely a pleasure to watch. Creativity at its best. I am all smiles about this film. One of my favorite animated films of the year so far. If you are looking for something different and entertaining, this is your movie...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment