Monday, March 26, 2018

Movies in Review: "Sherlock Gnomes"

I was not the biggest fan of the first gnomes film and was quite surprised they felt this film was worth a sequel. I had no plans at all of catching this second installment if I didn't have a kid. It was my little guy that had me grudgingly purchase 2 tickets for a film I knew I was not going to enjoy ~rolling eyes. There was no way I could pass on this movie as it seemed my kid had it already booked in his own personal mental calendar...ugh. So, I went to see this movie hoping at least he would enjoy it.

I found myself pleasantly surprised. Critics marked the first film better than this sequel, but I have to disagree. I was seriously bored to death with that first gnome movie. I remember yawning and wondering who thought this would make a good animated film. However, to me, the sequel was far better. I loved the addition of Sherlock Gnomes, voiced by Johnny Depp. I thought his characters was fun and humorous. The character Watson was also a great addition, and the chemistry between him and Sherlock made for a great storyline. The addition of these characters gave a little reprieve to the other gnomes, who I found a bit dull in the first film. I loved the animation much more in this film than the first. The colors felt brighter and held my attention more. Gnomeo and Juliet I also enjoyed more. Their characters seemed to have more personality in this sequel.

I believe this is a decent animated film for the young kids. My little guy was happy with what he saw and was telling me about the movie even after we left the theater. This is not my favorite animation, but I did enjoy this sequel a little deal than its predecessor. That's a plus...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment