Monday, October 1, 2012

Movies in Review: "Pitch Perfect"

I couldn't wait for the release of this movie. I saw the theatrical poster before I saw the trailer, and even the trailer had my interests. Once I saw the trailer, my interest was sealed. I thought the trailer was hilarious, and it had my favorite girl at the moment in it, Rebel Wilson. It seem that I wasn't the only one anticipating this movie. With limited release this weekend, the movie theatre I went to see it was full. We were all anxious to get our laugh on...well I know I was. So did I laugh...

Unfortunately, not as much as I had hoped to. This movie suffered from most of the funny parts being shown in the trailer...smh. I hate when comedies have little to offer outside of the trailer. There really wasn't much that I laughed at that wasn't already shown in the trailer. This put a damper on my feeling for the film. I also wished the story would have moved a little quicker. It took too long to get to its predictable resolve. In my opinion, it shouldn't have taken so long for someone to step up to the character Aubrey. She was seriously getting on my nerves.

I know so far my comments sound really negative, but the movie wasn't all bad. The singing was the bomb. I really enjoyed all the musical routines. The story was also cute, but really nothing special. Rebel Wilson was hilarious, and the character Lilly also provided some laughs. I have grown fond of Anna Kendrick, but this wasn't my favorite role for her. It felt like she was trying to hard...eh.

Overall it didn't really meet my expectations, but then again, I may have expected too much. It's a musical, filled with plenty of great musical selections. If you are into that, than this will be a plus for you. You will laugh, but don't expect to laugh out loud. This movie is ok, but if you were like me and expecting something great, please lower your expectations...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment