Sunday, October 28, 2012

Movies in Review: "Cloud Atlas"

This movie is an adaption of a book of the same name. I thought the trailer was so weird that it was super intriguing. It was hard to even get an idea of what the story was about because it seemed all over the place in the trailer. I think this made the movie most interesting to me, not to mention the phenomenal ensemble cast.

I have to admit that the first 20min had me confused, but this confusion also kept me interested. This film has multiple story lines, 6 to be exact. Most films with multiple story lines usually don't play out well, but for some reason this was not the case for me with this film. The story lines blended easily in a way with each other. I loved how the cast played different characters in each storyline. It was fun to see them transformed into new characters. I also enjoyed how each storyline was its own, but still met at the end with a cohesive message. My favorite story was the one place in Neo Seoul 2014. To me the characters in this story were the most interesting. I know this may cause some of you to gasp, but this film is 3hrs long...Yikes!!!

No worries though...although the film has an extensive running time, I didn't find myself getting bored to the point of exhaustion or sleep. This movie was artfully, and beautifully done. I enjoyed the writing and direction of each story very much. By the end of the film, a great feeling came over me that is kind of hard to explain. This movie isn't for someone who can't handle complexity. There is nothing simple or straight forward about this movie. But to say that I was pleasantly pleased with this film would be an understatement. This movie, in my opinion, is weirdly amazing...A+!

No comments:

Post a Comment