Monday, October 22, 2012

Movies in Review (INDEPENDENT FILM): "Middle of Nowhere"

When I watched the trailer for this film, there was something that truly captured me. It had a very smooth and interesting vibe that had me wanting to see this one. In addition to the fact that it starred Omari Hardwick and David Oyelowo, two of the best looking actors in the industry right now...oh and they are super talented too :). This movie is written, directed, and produced by Ava DuVernay, who won best director for this film at the Sundance Film Festival. The first African American female to win this honor...Kudos Ms. DuVernay!

I would have to say that I agree that this award was well deserved. I felt the directing for this film was excellent. There is a real solemn, and lonely feel that is portrayed with cool shades of grey. The scenery  plays a big part in telling the story, it is not all about the dialogue, which is something that I love about this film. I found the musical soundtrack to be the best part of the movie. The music in this film did more for the story than in any other film I've seen. If you're into underground music, you will like this movie for the musical soundtrack alone...

Hardwick and Oyelowo were not disappointments, but it was the female lead Emayatzy Corinealdi who stole the show. She has only been in a few short films, and had some appearances on a soap opera, and a few other television series. This is her first major lead role, and after what I saw in this film, I hope to see her in a lot more. She is a very natural actress. I love actresses like this, where it feels like they aren't playing a character, but instead ARE the character.

This movie is not a major release film, so you probably won't find it everywhere. If you are one of the lucky ones to have this film playing in a theatre near you, and appreciates the art of a good independent film, then I recommend this one. I enjoyed it from beginning to end, and I think you will too...A-

Please Note: My apologies for the late posts. I was dealing with technical issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment