Monday, December 29, 2014

Movies in Review: "Into the Woods"

See what happens when you don't get out much. I watched the trailer for this more and was far from impressed, although Meryl Streep was in it, but I just didn't get it. Then all the hype and rave critiques about this movie started to take flight. Everyone was excited about this movie, which I didn't know was adapted from a play...Ooooooooohhhhhh...ok. Well I guess I should give it a chance then right!?

Just so you know, it's a musical. I'm only a fan of musicals when they're done the right way, meaning you don't actually notice the singing because it works so well with the story. This was one of those movies. The songs were great! I was thoroughly entertained from beginning, and almost to the end. Kind of a different take on our fairytale characters, but oh so interesting (for the most part). Red Riding Hood was my favorite, she had the most character. Johnny Depp was a little creepy as the Wolf, but I read his story was changed a bit from the play to appeal to a family audience (thank goodness). I also loved the Baker and his Wife. Anna Kendrick as Cinderella didn't really do it for me. Not that Kendrick wasn't great, but I just couldn't believe her as Cinderella ~shrugs.

By the time the movie got to the end, my joy for it changed a bit. Things seemed to fall by the waste side and got strange. It seemed that every detail in the beginning was taken care of, but the ending was left with holes. You know it says something when a movie that everyone was excited to see, ends and no one claps...smh. Up until the last 15min was great, so I will try not to score too harshly for this pitfall...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment