Monday, December 15, 2014

Movies in Review: "Exodus: Gods and Kings"

Well this film has been met with a lot of controversy, but I'm not the least bit surprised. I think it's always tough to make a biblically inspired movie without displeasing someone...right? But most people were outraged by the all-white cast portraying characters in an African tale...smh. I was a little taken aback when I watched the trailer for this movie. No one seemed to fit in the role that they were playing. I wasn't excited about this movie, and I didn't get hemmed up in all the backlash it was receiving either, so I went to see it...

Shame shame shame on you Ridley Scott for this one. I honestly thought I would enjoy this movie, thinking maybe my feelings for the trailer were farse...but they weren't. You know a movie is bad when everyone seems miscast, like blatantly miscast. John Turturro as Seti...Really!? Are you kidding me right now? No No No...oh so wrong, along with Joel Edgerton as Ramesses, and the icing on the cake was Sigourney Weaver as Tuya...GTFOH! I don't really bandwagon all the race complaints for films, but this movie had me feeling some kind of way. All the colored people cast in the film were servants...really!? This movie felt so outdated and left a bad taste in my mouth. Why would you hire an all white cast then spray then down with orange tanner just to give them color? Especially when there are plenty of colored actors/actresses who would have fit these roles perfectly. This movie had so much potential, but was put in the hands of the wrong person. It was hard to enjoy the story when I kept wondering why orange make-up was used a stronger option than casting the right people for this story...smh. I could go on and on, but is it worth it.

It was hard to stay focused on the film as a whole because it was wrong in so many ways. The acting wasn't great, and some of those scenes were atrociously directed (the rubber baby scene...come on!...horrible) It earned a few points for visuals. It wasn't a horrible movie, but being a woman of color, it felt like I was knocked back to the 1960's...C-

No comments:

Post a Comment