Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Movies in Review: "Selma"

I'm sorry, but the trailer for this movie right here...smh. Every time I saw this trailer chills would run through my body. Ok so another Martin Luther King Jr movie? But you cast David Oyelowo as our renowned civil rights leader? Oh yes we have a winner now! And how about that soundtrack!? "Glory" by Common and John Legend...yaaassssss! Chills...I was hoping those chills would carry through to the end of this movie...and it did.

Talk about powerful. I mean Ava DuVernay did her thing in the directors chair. She brought out supreme performances from her cast and the cinematography will tear at every emotional heart string. What I enjoyed most about this movie was that it focused on 1 particular event in King's Civil Rights journey. It was great to get a more in-depth picture of how the Selma Voting rights marches came about, who was involved, and all that was sacrificed just so we could equally have our given right to VOTE!

The movie moves a little slow in the beginning for me, but does a great job of building the story. Some of the scenes sounded a little empty at times, but maybe that's just me. Regardless of these few complaints, this movie had impact. The musical soundtrack and the scene direction were phenomenal. I was super emotional leaving the theater. This had everything to do with the fact that so many people sacrificed so much for something we take for granted today...VOTING! I think anyone who thinks their vote doesn't matter should see this movie. Anyone who thinks they don't have a voice should see this movie. Anyone who thinks that only voting for the Presidential Election is enough, should see this movie! This movie is important for us to see today, because many of us have forgotten how far we have come, and what it took for us to get here...ijs...A-!

No comments:

Post a Comment