Monday, July 30, 2012

Movies in Review: "Ruby Sparks"

I was looking forward to this movie. I felt the trailer revealed a very interesting love story that was different from any story that I have seen in a while. I am happy to say that this movie gave me everything I was expecting. It is a uber cute chick flick.

This film was written by Zoe Kazan who also stars as the main character Ruby Sparks. I felt that this film was very well written and Kazan couldn't have been more perfect as Ruby. She was cute, and had such great energy. I thought that she captured her character perfectly. Her boyfriend was cast as the writer Calvin. The chemistry between the two was obviously very natural, and made the movie enjoyable to watch. The only odd character to me was Chris Messina who was cast as Calvin's brother Harry. It was odd because Messina and Dano look nothing alike. But Messina's performance was so great, that the fact that they didn't really look like brothers was a passing thought.

Annette Benning and Antonio Banderas made appearances. I am always down to see Banderas, and of course he never disappoints. He was quite adorable in this film, and he and Annette just added more star power to an already decent movie. I lucked up and went to a showing where the lead Paul Dano stopped by for a quick Q&A with viewers. Such a nice treat. I enjoyed this movie, but you would like it more in the comfort of your home. It's a chick flick, but I still think men wouldn't mind a rental of this. Very well written, and great performances...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment