Monday, July 2, 2012

Movies in Review: "Magic Mike"

I was shocked when I saw that critic reviews were mostly on the positive side for this film. The trailer already had my interest because I would never turn down the opportunity to see half naked men strut their stuff on the big screen. If the storyline was decent, then this would be an added bonus. After seeing the positive reviews, I became even more excited to see it.

All the women in the theatre cheered in anticipation of what was to come in the opening scene, however by the end there was no applause. The movie wasn't horrible, but not great either. They should have cut 20-30min out of this movie, because parts of the storyline seemed to drag the movie down. It was cool watching the male dancers performances, but by the 5th performance, I was over it. Yes I understand that this was the premise of the movie, but I was hoping for a little more depth.

The actors cast as the male dancers were ok, but didn't have me drooling. The only one who had any moves at all was Channing Tatum. I'm not a fan of Tatum, but when he takes on a role that fits him, my mind has a way of changing. This role was great for Tatum and fit him well. No one would ever deny that this guy has a great body, and even better moves. His dancing was the only thing worth looking at during the performance scenes. Another element that also helped Tatum to shine is that he wasn't the worst actor cast in this movie. Cody Horn the actress who played Brooke lacked depth. She was flat and had problems delivering emotions with her eyes. She looked empty when the camera focused on an emotion on her face...blah.

This movie is for the women and my male compadres who are in to men. Let me warn you, you may feel a rush in the opening scene, but that soon will fade as you reach a point of exhaustion by the end of the film...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment