Monday, April 9, 2012

Movies in Review: "We the Party"

Ok so I know you are reading the title of this movie I am reviewing and thinking "WTH is this?". Yes I know this movie wasn't on anyone's radar, and I am included in this group. I had only seen the trailer for this movie once, and I vaguely remembered it. All I remember is that it was a teen flick that Mario Van Peebles was behind. Well since there was only one major released film this weekend, I decided to also give this movie a chance.

This movie has us following a group of teenagers as they deal with the same things teenagers always deal with, love, sex, bullying, fitting in...blah blah blah...yeah nothing new there. Although the premise wasn't ground braking, this movie was still fun to watch. Peebles definitely kept this movie in the family, with three of his kids taking on major roles, and of course an appearance made by his father. I don't think any of the kids deserve any acting awards, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that they still made it a fun movie to watch. All the teens meshed well together, and had me smile and laugh at all the crap they were getting themselves into. I was shocked to see Quincy Brown in this movie (Sean Combs son), doing a pretty decent job.

Mario Van Peebles not only directed this film, but also starred in it with Salli Richardson, and Michael Jai white. I don't think this movie would have been half as good as it was without the great direction from Peebles. I actually wish more of his films were on the big screen. His films always provoke thinking, and have a message that reaches his target audience. This movie is for tweens and teens, and I honestly think they will enjoy it...adults like myself may enjoy it as well...B-

No comments:

Post a Comment