Monday, March 12, 2012

Movies in Review: "A Thousand Words"

Poor Eddie Murphy...smh...It seems that his star has dimmed to just a light flicker. It's obvious his name no longer holds any weight, as this movie opened at #6 this weekend with ticket sales of only 6.3 million. This would be considered a bona fide flop since the budget for this film was well over 40 million...smh :(

I can't say I'm really sad since I am no longer an Eddie Murphy "fan". From what I viewed in the trailer, I expected this movie to be corny, and full of nonsense. Of course it didn't disappoint, but was still better than I expected. This movie is by no means great, and even the comedy was weak, but I did enjoy it to an extent. Murphy wasn't as flamboyant as he has been in his previous films. He wasn't over the top and I was actually able to see his character shine. I actually enjoyed him in this movie. The character who was over the top (there's always one) was Aaron Weisberger, the assistant played by Clark Duke. I believe his character was needed for comical relief, but sometimes Duke just pushed it too far. Ruby Dee was a great addition, providing one of the only solid performances in this movie.

The story is cookie cutter, and not very exciting. I enjoyed the ending, it was just a little too predictable. This movie is not worth the ticket price...bootleg maybe...C

No comments:

Post a Comment