Monday, March 26, 2012

Movies in Review: "The Hunger Games"

There was Hunger Game frenzy that could not be denied. All Friday shows were sold out in my area before 5pm. When I went to see this movie early afternoon on Saturday, evening shows were also filling up quickly. I guaranteed ticket sales of at least 85million. Well I was right, and tickets sales even doubled my prediction, with domestic tickets sales of 155 million its opening weekend...Amazing! No the question is...was it worth it?...perhaps...

I liked it, I just wasn't like OMG that was Amazing! To be quite honest I like the movie Avatar better. Not to say one had anything to do with the other, just trying to give something to compare my feelings for it. There wasn't much to dislike about this movie. There were exceptional performances from all actors/actresses. I have no complaints at all from Jennifer Lawrence's performance, the young wpman who is getting all the shine as a result of this film. She deserves it because I don't think they could have picked a better actress to embody this character. I believed her as a loving, stronger older sister. Her fear of what was about to happen was clear, as well as her natural strengths for survival.

The make-up and costumes were fun. Elizabeth Banks looked amazing. I'm glad they made it so she didn't look like herself. Love Stanley Tucci to death, he's one of my favorite actors. His blue ponytail and over sized Chiclets teeth made for great humor. And Lenny Kravitz was wearing the mess out of that gold eyeliner, I wasn't even mad because that man still looked sexy, eyeliner and all!

I guess my biggest disappointment came once they started the game and you see these youngsters turn into savage beasts trying to save their own lives. The opening scene for the start of the game was about it for action though. All of the other scenes after that were pretty mild. There is some down time created to cause suspense, and a love story that played so thick that it was starting to get annoying. The game itself was pretty unfair for the kids involved, so for me, I just became angry at some parts. The movie is over 2hrs long, but is entertaining enough. I think the movie could only go so far with the story, but it was interesting enough for me to go out and buy the book. This isn't a bad movie, just don't have your hopes up for too much...A-

*Side Note...Would like to send a shout out to my boy Hudda of Hypnotic Brass Ensemble as their song "War" is featured in the movie soundtrack. The song is played in the scene when Stanley Tucci is on stage for his talk with each player. Congratulations Fellas!

2 comments:

  1. Hi TajGreene, I've seen you around my friend Terrence's blog.

    Nice review, I actually had a high expectations but this movie still met it. I'm with you that it enraged me to see how unfair the officials were in controlling the game at the kids' expense. I mean that whole fire thing was just nuts, poor Katniss! That part wasn't really explored in the book as it was from her POV, so there's no way we'd know what's going on w/ how the game worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth...Yes Im always on T's blog. He writes some pretty great stuff...thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    I liked the movie. It was good enough for me to actually go out and purchase the book, which Im reading now. "Poor Katniss!" is right. Not only the fire, but also the other components that were added to speed the game along...smh...I was so mad at how unfair this game was...smh. I can't wait to finish reading how the book plays out. Just finished the first chapter and I'm totally intrigued. Are u a regular movi-goer yourself?

    ReplyDelete