Monday, October 4, 2010

Movies in Review: "Waiting for Superman"

Documentaries are my least favorite genres of films, only because I attend movies to escape from the realities of the real world, not to have it right up in my face...just depressing. So true to form, I left the theatre after seeing this film pissed, and depressed...but mostly pissed. I think this was the objective of the film, because it opened my eyes to things I was not even aware of in the school system. A system I think should be gutted and forced to start over. Lets start the gutting with the teachers union. I could not believe that it is impossible to fire a teacher, tenure is what they call it. I can understand tenure, but I thought it was something u earned after proven years of service. Well not in the public school system. You only have to be in your position for two yrs, and are pretty much set for life as far as a job is concerned. Even if you are a poor teacher, and are not worth the credentials given to you...SMH. You should see the failing number of schools this film will open your eyes to. Failing schools only mean failing children. So why are we ok with a system that cares more about the incompetent staff that are causing these schools to fail, instead of the children who attend them. Just doesn't make any sense...And if you think the recession we are facing, and the crash of wall street is bad...OMG we are in for even bigger trouble if things don't change soon. We are not going to have the skilled people to keep this country going if our youth are not being educated properly...and from the looks of things...they are not. Get ready for Generation "Dumb Ass" because thats whats up next...SMH.

This film was great, and is a must see, buy, bootleg...whatever. Everyone should see it, especially if you have children. This film has made me want to hold off on that endeavor. A++

2 comments:

  1. You know I LOVE Documentaries, and when I saw this movie being promoted on Oprah, I knew I had to see it.

    I have not yet, but, as soon as I find out where it is around here...I have to see it!

    Shocking to see how they're treating our youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is wait until you see it. Your going to be gasping and SYH throughout. Hopefully you find somewhere close that is playing it. Unfortunately it's not playing everywhere...and everyone needs to see it.

    ReplyDelete