Monday, October 1, 2018

Movies in Review: "All About Nina"

In my search of movies to see this weekend, I came across this gem. More of an indie type of film, so many of you may not have heard about it or have even seen the trailer. Don't worry, neither have I. My research was the first time I had even heard of the film, which co-stars one of my favorite musicians (turned actor) Common. I watched the trailer, and I was totally with it. It looked like a comedy that had a little drama and romance mixed in. I like that. It looked entertaining enough, and Common was in it. Seemed like a win win for me ~shrugs.

Not that I had low expectations for this movie, but whatever expectations I walked in with I definitely walked out of the theater with them being met and exceeded. It stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead who I remember from that odd horror film 10 Cloverfield Lane, as well as some other notable roles. I enjoy the work I've seen from her and this role is no different. As a matter of fact, she kills in this role as a comedian hiding a dark secret with excessive drinking and other behaviors. What I love most about her in this film is her chemistry with Common. Common has definitely made a name for himself on the big screen, but I think this is definitely my favorite role I have seen him play so far. I loved him and Winstead together. They matched so perfectly on-screen it didn't feel like acting, but instead real. Common had me falling in love with him...lol.

This film has great performances and story to make this movie well worth seeing. I usually enjoy independent films more than wide released movies, and this one is no different. One of my top-rated movies of the year for me. If it's playing in a theater near you, you won't find yourself disappointed...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment