Monday, October 15, 2018

Movies in Review: "First Man"

Although a very historical event for America, the only reason I even went to see this film was because Ryan Gosling is in it. The trailer was cool but gave me enough to kind of make me want to pass on it. I have my own personal reasons for this statement. I'm not a fan of films that show American history events with a cast that only includes 1 race, and not to mention focused on men. To me it's just seems like another type of propaganda, and I'll pass on that. However, my feelings about how the film looked didn't overshadow my feelings for Gosling. I'd see him on-screen any day, no matter the film...ijs.

So, I was a little worried when I noticed this movie had a running time of almost 2.5hrs...smh. Needless to say, I had every right to be worried because I felt every bit of those 2+ hours. This movie was too long and drawn out for its own good. I definitely caught myself staring at the back of my eyelids more than once...ijs. The pace of the movie is really slow. However, I did enjoy how the story focused on the journey to get to the Apollo mission to the moon, and the families involved to make this mission happen. What we learn in class is that the mission to the moon was a success, but there were a number of failures that proceeded it. This was a very interesting part of the story for me. I also enjoyed the way the movie was filmed, especially the astronaut scenes. It feels like you are right there in the action. That scene when they were spinning almost had me puking. I'm pleased I wasn't watching it on a premium screen or the outcome might have been different...lol.

This movie is decent, filled an interesting backstory to the Apollo mission. There are great camera shots and compelling performances, however the slow pace might be too much for you to care. This movie is super slow. I felt like I was in that theater forever, and that's never a good thing. If you are interested in seeing this film, I recommend a nap first, and allot yourself some time...lol. It's a decent movie, but nothing I think you feel the need to go run and see...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment