Monday, October 1, 2018

Movies in Review: "Night School"

Am I the only one who watched the trailer for this movie and thought it was going to be a catastrophe? I know Haddish's star is on the rise, and I applaud her success, but ummmmmmm...I can't say I'm really a fan. She received the most praise from her role in Girl's Trip, a role I thought was just ok. She is funny at times, but most times she's just extra. I also feel the same way about Kevin Hart in comedic film roles. So needless to say, I wasn't really interested in seeing this movie. The only reason I did see it is because I do thing Haddish and Hart are very talented, and I do want to see them win...for some reason. I went into the theater knowing that I would at least get a few laughs, however my expectations for anything else were very low.

I think me having low expectations made my movie experience seeing this film better. Haddish wasn't as over-the-top in this role as she usually is. I actually enjoyed her character. She seemed genuine and funny, and she and Hart were great on-screen together. However, I was expecting Hart to be a bit more funny. I hate when his characters are extra, but for this role I did want a little bit more from him, but he was still entertaining. I got what I expected from this movie, but surprising, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

This movie is funny, but not roll over, laugh out loud funny. Just in case that's what you are expecting. It has its moments, and you will definitely find Haddish a bit more refined in this role, which I enjoyed. I think you will be happier catching this movie on Netflix, but if you need to see it now, matinee would be best...C-

No comments:

Post a Comment