Monday, July 9, 2018

Movies in Review: "Sorry to Bother You"

I can say I was definitely intrigued with this film at first glance of the trailer. I found it's originality to be the most appealing part. It was a film I can't say I've ever seen before, but knew I had to see it. Not to mention I love me some Lakeith Stanfield, and the work he's put out as an actor. I think he is a rising star that deserves more lead roles. My expectations I think we’re at a minimal. I knew I would get originality and I expected to laugh and be entertained. That's not too much to ask right?

Well...I was entertained...sort of...lol. Sorry to Bother You is definitely one of those movies that could have used the help of an edible in order for me to get its full value. Sitting in the theater sober didn't really have the same effect ~shrugs. I'm not saying I didn't like the film, but I can say it's humor was a little lighter than I expected, but it was heavy with relevant satire on life as a person of color in America. For me the humor was a little empty and I think I was missing a number of punchlines (this is where the weed would have helped). There were some decent performances, especially from Stanfield and Tessa Thompson, whose earring game was giving me life. Her whole character was a ball of amusement. This film asks great questions, ahhaaaaa moments, then gets completely ridiculous by the end...lol.

I didn't dislike this movie, but I think I was expecting to enjoy it more??? I found enjoyment in it, but there were also some topics that were completely over my head, or there were just slow moments in a film that shouldn't have had any. I think I needed a "Sorry to Bother You" book for dummies ~shrugs. I might recommend seeing this movie high, if that's your thing, and tell me if your experience was a little different. I do give this movie props for its creative mark and originality though...B

No comments:

Post a Comment