Monday, July 23, 2018

Movies in Review: "The Equalizer 2"

As much as I loved the character Robert McCall in the unexpected sleeper thriller The Equalizer, I definitely didn't expect to see a sequel. Denzel was great in the first film, but a sequel??? I wasn't originally on board with this sequel as sequels aren't known to be better than the original film. But The Equalizer 2 had some great marketing that quickly changed my interest. From what I could see in the trailer, the sequel looked exciting, I like excitement...lol. If it wasn't for the love I have for Denzel and Antoine Fuqua I might have opted out of this sequel. But instead I bought my ticket, crossed my fingers, and went into the theater hoping for the best ~shrugs.

Having our lovable vigilante Mr. McCall as a Lyft driver was a great move. It added to the heart of McCall and the comedy in the film. I love the writing in this film and McCall's vigilante adventures, however I wasn't a huge fan of the villain in this film. This part of the story was a little weak for me. The villain in the first film had me shook, however in the sequel the villain felt like child's play. Did anyone think he had a chance against McCall??? He was weak, and I wish this part of the story was written better. However, there are more than enough thrills to have you overlook this part. Denzel was as good as he was in the first, however, I can't say I would expect a third film because Washington, physically, is looking way pass his prime to make any more action roles like this believable...ijs.

If you loved the first film, you can expect much of the same love from this film. I found the villain to be weak, but the thrills were still solid. McCall's sincerity, heart of gold, and humor are still on point, and makes this sequel well worth seeing...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment