Monday, July 16, 2018

Movies in Review: "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot"

Because I scrapped Skyscraper from my plate months ago, I took the opportunity to see some independent, limited released films and came across the trailer for this movie. I thought the title of the film was crazy long, but it's based off a memoir of the same name. First glance at the trailer I was immediately intrigued by the cast. I have a secret obsession with Joaquin Phoenix. I love his acting abilities and the types of roles he takes on. Jonah Hill also co-stars. Can you say anything bad about Jonah Hill in a movie? I think not. Jack Black is also in it. I'm not the biggest fan of Black, I could take him or leave him, but his performance in Jumanji has me seeing him in a whole new light...lol. With a cast like this, there was no way I felt I would leave the theater disappointed.

There was so much I enjoyed about this movie, and the performances and story were the best part for me. Story is based on a small part of cartoonist Jon Callaghan's life soon after he became a paraplegic in a car accident. Phoenix played this role with such depth, and you felt compassion for him, but not at all sorry for him. He was phenomenal. I would honestly like to praise the entire cast, who brought pure talent to this story. I loved how there was no room for us to feel sorry for anyone's circumstances. My favorite scene was Callahan's first group session at Donnie's house and the exchange Callahan had with Reba (played by Beth Ditto). Reba's role was small, but she was probably my favorite, her spirit was amazing.

You will laugh, smile, and may find yourself on the verge of shedding a tear...maybe. This film has pain in it but delivers it in a way that is easy to handle. I was able to smile in spite of. This is a really good movie, and it's not very often you catch me saying that...A

No comments:

Post a Comment