Monday, July 2, 2018

Movies in Review: "Sicario: Day of the Soldado"


The original Sicario was a crime thriller that came out of nowhere for me and was one of my favorite films for 2015. When the trailer for the sequel was released I was more than hype, although a little disappointed that I didn't see Emily Blunt return. She was that fire in the first film and I tried not to let not seeing her in this film lower my expectations. The trailer had enough in it to keep me on board. With the music, and introduction to what seemed like an intriguing plot, Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin, I felt the film still had more than enough to be a winner.

Ummmmmmm....Hmmmmmmmm....Ok, so I loved the first one. Everything about the first film made sense, however this "sequel" didn't...yikes. Benicio Del Toro did his thing. He had a more prominent role in this film than the first. There were also other great performances, which I had no issue with. However, I did have an issue with this story. What the hell was going on? None of it made enough sense to seem cohesive. There events thrown into the story that made very little sense, especially by the time the story got to the end. What was the reason for anything that was happening. I'm having a hard time writing this review because I never want to give spoilers into a film but there were pieces of the story that were wasteful and made the movie longer than it needed to be. Like was there really a purpose for that interrogation scene Brolin had at the beginning of the film, which lead to nothing. What were the bombers for, which would the change the plot of the film, only to end without a clear conclusion, just an intro for the next film ~shrug.

The first movie was great, this one, not so much. The only way this film would make any type of sense is if they cleared it up in the next film, which I'm holding out for. You won't find yourself as intrigued as the first film, making this movie feel very long. However, there are still some thrilling moments to be had, and unfortunately a number of confusing ones too...eh. I didn't hate this movie, but I definitely didn't like it either. It was kind of a mess, but I still recommend seeing it just in case there is something needed in order to watch the 3rd film...C+


No comments:

Post a Comment