Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Movies in Review: "Downsizing"

I am a HUGE Matt Damon fan, so there isn't much I wouldn't see that he's featured in, even that debacle of a film Suburbicon...smh. Unlike Suburbicon, I actually found the trailer for Downsizing to be very interesting. I thought the story seem to offer something fresh, fun and creative. The trailer was also amusing and offered a great cast. This film definitely felt like a winner that I was really looking forward to seeing. My expectations for this film were about average, and it ranked in the top 3 films I wanted to see this weekend.

Downsizing is listed as a comedy-drama, and I guess I was expecting a little more comedy ~shrugs. It had a number of comedic moments, which had a dramatic undertone feel (if that makes sense). The film was wonderfully cast, although Kristen Wiig felt a little out of place. The story also felt a little all over the place, especially at the beginning. However the story picked up when the character Ngoc Lan Tran entered. In my opinion, earlier scenes could have been edited to focus more on the story of Damon's character and the people like Tran. This was the best part of the film, and all the other stuff seemed like a waste and seemed to drag the movie down. There was definitely too much downtime at the beginning of the film. However the film did progress well, then sort of got weird again in the end. 


This was a decent movie, but was filled with a lot of stuff that wasn't needed and dragged the film down. The best part of the film was Damon and Tran's story, especially Tran. I didn't think Sudeikis's story was necessary, nor the extended party scene shots of Damon’s character...meh. All in all, the meat and potatoes of the film are great. It's the unwanted appetizers that might have you overlook and miss the main dish...B-

No comments:

Post a Comment