Monday, July 17, 2017

Movies in Review: "War of the Planet of the Apes"

I have said this many times, I am not the biggest fan of film reboots. However the reboot for The Planet of the Apes is one of the only few I have ever loved, and felt it outdid its original films. I think I have raved about each film in this trilogy. It doesn't happen too often that a franchise can produce sequels on the same level of excellence, but this franchise has been doing it. I was most excited to see this third film. I am an ape, especially Caesar, fan. The trailer gave me goosebumps, and I had to see how this would end. My expectations were definitely high for this film. I at least expected the same experience as the others. There was no way this film would fall short...right?

Can I say Caesar gives me chills? When he came on-screen, my jaw dropped. This ape is strong and has a presence that intimidates and captures your attention. I love him because he is for, and protector of his apes. I enjoyed the introduction to the film, which let viewers know where we are at with this story and how we got here. There were some great acting performances, especially from Andy Serkis as Caesar, but also from Woody Harrelson as The Colonel (human). My favorite addition to the cast was "bad ape" Steve Zahn. He was absolutely hilarious, and added the bit of humor needed in the film. This story has a number of heartbreaking moments, but also moments of triumph. The only part of the story I didn't understand was the mute aspect of it. It was explained a little in the story, but I felt like I needed more, since it played a role in what was happening ~shrugs.


I walked out of the theater getting everything I expected and more. I believe this film needs to be seen on the big screen so that you can get the full Caesar experience. Watching this film on TV would do it no justice. This was a great story, and ending to this trilogy. I almost shed a tear when the credits started to roll. Definitely one of my favorite films of the summer...A-

No comments:

Post a Comment