Monday, July 10, 2017

Movies in Review: "Spider-Man: Homecoming"

Seriously...how many times does a film need to be rebooted? What is the infatuation with Spider-Man? He is like the most rebooted superhero out now...but why? I can't say I was too excited about this film, especially since this is the 3rd reboot of this franchise in less than 15yrs. How many times can we keep retelling this story without getting bored? However I think I must be the only one who feels this way since this newest installment killed at the box office, and I was also there in the mix. I admit the first 2 reboots had me excited about their releases, but I can't say the same about this one. I enjoyed the cameo this newest Spider-Man made in the last Avengers movie, which is probably the only reason I gave this reboot a chance. My expectations were about average, although critics are raving about this one. 

This movie is as cute as the actor now playing Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The actor Tom Holland was a good pic to dawn the red spandex suit. He had all the cute, awkward, quirkiness we expect from Peter Parker's character too. I thought the story had some great humor and fun characters, especially Zenadaya, and the kid who played Parker's best friend Ned. The story was cute, but more teeny-bopper than the previous films. The biggest thing this film lacked though was powerful action scenes. Spider-Man spent most of the film fumbling and learning his power/skills, and getting saved by Iron Man, who I thought had too much screen time in this movie. I don't think Spider-Man really shined in this film. The action and stunts were mediocre, especially when compared to the first 2 reboots. In my opinion, this film definitely lacked excitement at times. However, I did think Michael Keaton was a great villain as Vulture. He was the most exciting part in the film.


All in all, not a bad movie, but I can't say I liked it better than the earlier films. It was cute, but I think I wanted to be amazed. I'm guessing this film was an introduction to this new reboot. I'm just hoping they pick things up in the next film or I can't see myself riding out with this new reboot...B-

No comments:

Post a Comment