Monday, July 31, 2017

Movies in Review: "Detroit"

I admit I am growing tired of seeing films like these. Films that tell stories of the past and are still far too relevant today. Stories of racism, and the racists acts against minorities and people of color in America, by "Americans" I often find myself angered when leaving the theater. I went to see this film because I love and wanted to support the cast. However, upon viewing and leaving the theater, something tells me I need to make this my last film like this.

Detroit is receiving critical acclaim for its direction and cast performances, and all are definitely well warranted. The film packs a punch and has major power performances from its cast. However the content just hit a sore spot with me, and I found myself rolling my eyes and sucking my teeth at what was being shown on screen. An event that took place in 1967 had me sitting there saying to myself "Shiiiiittttt, that happened to Sean, Rob and Richard (fake names) yesterday". This movie was a disheartened reminder of how the treatment of non-whites have not changed. It angered me even more sitting in a theater of mostly whites as they sat there watching the film surprised, as if they couldn't believe this happened ~rolling eyes. I wish I could stay calm and write this review properly, but I think it would be best if I step away from this keyboard now.


This film is great, and all that you would expect from a movie. It was very well written, performed and directed, and deserves all the praise critics are giving it. The content hit too close to home for me, and left me pissed and angered. Get your mind all the way right before going to see this film...fair warning...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment