Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Movies in Review (LATE REVIEW): "Birdman"

Now being a new mother, I don't have the time that I use to, to check out more of the Indie featured film releases. Indie films produce some of my favorite movies, so it hurts that I can't indulge like I use to, but when mommy duty calls all other things are quickly pushed to the side...at least for a moment :). I've tried to catch up on a few missed films before the Oscar's arrive, and was finally able to check out Birdman. Not that I was even interested in this film, in fact, I never even heard of it until a friend told me about it. I watched the trailer, and was like...Ummmmmm...ok. I didn't get it at all, and was this close to passing it by, but who could turn down a film featuring Ed Norton, Michael Keaton, and Emma Stone. I'm no fool, that's a pretty awesome cast, sooooooo...into the theater I went.

I love it when I go against my initial negative reaction to a trailer. Often times I find myself pleasantly surprised...and this was one of those times. Wow...is all I can say. At the movie started out a little weird, and I was like wth is going on. But as the story went on, I started to get it. But it wasn't the story that really caught my attention, it was the way this movie is filmed. It's filmed like a continuous take, so there are hardly any breaks in the scenes. This was phenomenal to watch. Do you know what kind of performance/skill you have to put on as an actor/actress for continuous take filming...Wow. Every award nomination this movie, and actors are receiving are well deserved...Applause. This is clearly a dark comedy, which happens to be my favorite type of comedy. This is my favorite performance from Zach Galifianakis (Hangover). His presence was strong, and funny, but there is no non-sense in this character. Different role from what he is commonly known for.

I'm sorry this review is hitting you so late, as this film may no longer be in theaters in your area. However if it is, and can appreciate the art in film-making, then please go check this one out. For those questioning whether this one is worth it, let me say that it is. If it comes out on video, rent it...but just see it...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment