Monday, May 5, 2014

Movies in Review: "The Amazing Spiderman 2"

Not a fan of tireless reboots like Spiderman. I mean really? How many times do I need to see the same story done over and over, with minor changes...eh. Although I complain, the cast changes for this reboot I favored, and although I didn't love the first installment of The Amazing Spiderman, I did like it better than the movie starring Tobey McGuire. Now we have The Amazing Spiderman 2. I can't front, the trailer for this movie looked absolutely AMAZING! Besides X-Men, this is the movie I have been most anticipating. There was no way this movie would disappoint me...right? Well I could only hope so...

The movie started out great with us getting a little more back story on Peter Parker's mother and father. So far so good, as I strapped myself into my seat to be filled with 2hrs of amazement. Unfortunately this feeling didn't last long. The following scenes went from amazing to corny. That had to be one of the corniest car chase scenes I have seen in a movie in a while...Uuughhhh. The sequence wasn't half as amazing as it looked in the trailer...smh. After this the film kind of wanes along. A half hour in and the man to my left was sleep, after and hr the young lady to my right was out, and I was dosing in and out myself. The story slowed down drastically. Although I loved the chemistry between Peter Parker and Gwen, their love story kind of took over a good part of the film.

There were also too many characters/villains. Electro is a great character, but I don't think Jamie Foxx did him any justice. He lacked so much power in his performance, which would seem impossible to do considering the character he was playing...lol. I also think Max/Electro could have used a more in-depth and stronger story line. I think Dane Dehann was a perfect choice for the Harry/Green Goblin. But again, his character/story line was also unable to get the shine it needed. I also wasn't a fan of the Green Goblin costume. It looked horrible.

The problem this movie had, was trying to pack too much into 2hrs and the movie ended up lacking for it. The performances were great, and the special effects were the best I've seen in any other Spiderman movie, but the story was far less amazing than I had expected. In my opinion the movie was great in the first 15min, and the last 30min...B-

No comments:

Post a Comment