Monday, August 12, 2013

Movies in Review: "Elysium"

I have to be honest and say that I was on the fence with this one. Although it was written and directed by Neill Blomkamp the same man who directed and co-wrote District 9 (one of my favorite movies), I think was thrown off by Matt Damon in this lead role. Damon is one of my favorite actors, but there was something about this role that had me skeptical.

I am happy to say I enjoyed it. Damon played the role of Da Costa with no problems. Surprising enough, although Damon was the lead, it was Sharlto Copley (District 9, A-Team) as Agent Kruger who stole the show. Wow he was amazing, and I loved what they did with his make-up and costume. It was almost hard to tell who he was.

The story was decent, although it could have used some character development. I felt at a loss with Jodie Foster's character. I could have used more background on her for sure. There is great action, acting and directing, and the ending sealed the deal for me.

This is a good one. You won't find yourself bored, and will easily find yourself vested in the characters still left on earth. Go see it...A-

No comments:

Post a Comment