Monday, March 11, 2013

Movies in Review: "Oz the Great and Powerful"

There is no doubt that this film will take the #1 spot this weekend as the most anticipated film so far this year. When I first saw the trailer, I was excited because I thought it would be great to tell the story of Oz, what turned me off from this film was the cast. Mila Kunis?...Really? James Franco? Hmmmmm...wouldn't have been my first choice. But besides these 2 flaws, the visuals looked amazing and the story of Oz had to be at least somewhat interesting right? Well it was...somewhat...

I don't even know where to start, except that during the opening scene, I thought it was a joke. The movie didn't play out anything like the trailer would have you think. The trailer made the film look more thrilling, but instead the film played out like more of a parody to The Wizard of Oz...smh. It begins with a dollop of corniness and ends in the same way. I found myself dosing several times. Franco's performance was fair, it was the writing and directing that failed him. Mila Kunis was an epic fail, and seemed out of place. She had the worst costume designer and make-up artist for her character. Was I the only one who wasn't feeling that red get up with the exaggerated hat and black leather pants, and then later on with the green face paint. Come on! And to make matters worse her performance was horrible. I could swear she was reading queue cards...smh.

This movie could have used a few musical numbers, or something that made the original Wizard of Oz so great. The only characters I enjoyed were China Doll and the Monkey...they were cute. I feel like I'm might be alone in my views, because the audience gave it a big round of applause upon leaving the theatre. In my opinion this film had great potential, but was just plain dumb. And as far as the visual aspect, there were some great effects when the Wizard first arrived in Oz, but that was about it. So I don't know if it's worth spending the extra few bucks for Imax...Oz may have been great and powerful, but unfortunately his story was flat and weak...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment