Monday, May 28, 2012

Movies in Review: "Men in Black 3"

I really can't tell you how shocked I am to be writing this, but I absolutely loved this movie. My expectations for this film must have been lower than I thought, although I thought the trailers for this installment had potential. It was Josh Brolin who kept my interest in seeing this film. Him playing a younger K was something I was interested in seeing him pull off, especially since I already enjoyed Tommy Lee Jones. For me it was never the characters that lacked in the earlier films, it was the overall story, which was usually filled with more slime and nonsense than a grown person could handle. All I have to say is that they finally got it right in Men in Black 3.

I think the story was able to develop so well because there wasn't an excessive amount of alien creatures involved. There is the focus of one villain in this film, all other alien features did their part in helping the story along instead of overwhelming it. My favorite alien character was Griffin. His role in the film made sense, and he was the most entertaining to watch. I really hope his character is featured for the next installment. I also loved Josh Brolin. He hit his charter on the nail as the younger Agent K. It really felt like you were watching a younger Tommy Lee Jones, so inserting Brolin did nothing to mess up character dynamics. Will Smith did his thing as I expected, so no complaints there.

I think this franchise would have benefited more if they had started off as good as this 3rd on was. I know many people aren't really looking forward to this film because of the previous installments, but I honestly say give this one a chance. Please don't go in expecting something different from what was given to you before. This film still has the same format, but they finally got it right. Its still corny at point, but in the end you will feel like it all made sense. This one made me smile and left me satisfied, and some of that may have to do with the scene of Will Smith in a wife-beater playing over and over in my head...I'm just saying. I believe the teenagers will love it because there are some really incredibly gadgets, and of course weird aliens doing weird stuff that they seem to like. The women will love it because of Will Smith and Josh Brolin, and the end of the story will probably have them on the verge of tears. I would recommend men to be a little open-minded when going into the theatre. And with that being said, I still recommend it...B+!

No comments:

Post a Comment