Monday, May 21, 2012

Movies in Review: "Battleship"

Who reading this really thought this movie was going to be any good?...Well it seems the answer would be no one, including me.The trailer for this film looked like it would fall into the same circle as "Skyline" and "Battle LA", filled with explosives, and nothing else to back it up. However the film was being marketed with high box office expectations. I honestly would fire the people who actually felt that this movie would be anything but a flop. With a production budget of over $200 million, this movie came in an abysmal 2nd place with only $25million in ticket sales...smh. I'm thinking I should start charging and campaigning myself to producers for my expertise. They could have saved millions in marketing if they had just asked me my opinion first...lol...I'm just sayin. I didn't love this movie, but I did think it was definitely better than Skyline.

The story wasn't great...shocker, but the movie had some interesting elements. I enjoyed the double amputee Canales. He wasn't the strongest actor, but there was something about him that I enjoyed...his attitude. I am surprised to be writing this, but Rihanna wasn't horrible. She seemed to fit into her character naturally, and she made other characters around her better. To be very honest the movie was a disaster and made almost no sense, but it had the strength from a number of characters to at least make it entertaining. One of my favorite scenes was the one in which the US Navy Veterans were put to work on the Battleship.

If you enjoy watching things blow up, then this is the movie might be for you, but to be very honest even some of those scenes were lack-luster. If you're looking for a great movie, pass this one by because it's really not worth all the hoopla they put behind it. Although entertaining, it lacked in so many areas to make it a true blockbuster hit...C-

No comments:

Post a Comment