Monday, January 2, 2012

Movies in Review (INDEPENDENT FILM): "Pariah"

I've been waiting for the release of this film for months. It was finally released this weekend, unfortunately, many of you won't get the opportunity to see it. If you get the opportunity, I definitely recommend that you at least check out the trailer. The trailer completely caught my interest in the film, not solely because of the story, but also Kim Wayans performance. I am happy to say that I can now classify Ms. Wayans as an actress for her role in this movie...Kudos to you!

This film has material that may hit close to home for some of you, as it is focused around a young lady coming to terms with her sexuality. This is a very tough situation to be in for all parties, not only for the individual, but also for the individuals family, and community. It is tough watching Alike (the films main character) finding the strength to come out to her family, which onsets a heap of drama...smh. As this movie is focused around female sexuality, I have to admit that there were a number of scenes in the film that had me a bit uncomfortable and screaming PINEAPPLES!!! (Kevin Hart reference)...smh

Some of you with teenagers might find yourselves uncomfortable as you hope your daughter is not the one who "likes girls, but loves men", or she's "just doing her thing"...man I would not want to have a teenager right now...smh. Although I squirmed at what was happening on screen, I enjoyed the movie and performances. This film is not for everyone, but is something I think everyone should see...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment