Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Movies in Review: "Red Tails"

Finally! The movie we have anticipated for months to be released is finally here. BTW...when I say "WE" I'm really speaking to the women. Yeah Yeah...sorry men...but this movie has more to offer than just a great story about our Tuskegee Airmen. For the women there is also ample eye candy awaiting us when we hit the theatres...Yum! Ok sorry, I get a little excited when gorgeous men are involved...let me get back to the review...eh hem...

I had the opportunity to catch a viewing for this film a month ago, and was happy to come across those tickets. As you all know it is a movie inspired by the story of The Tuskegee Airmen. It is directed by Anthony Hemingway (directed The Wire & Treme), and stars Cuba Gooding Jr. who starred in the 1995 made for TV movie "The Tuskegee Airmen" and Terrance Howard who portrayed a Tuskegee pilot in the 2002 film Hart's War...interesting right...lol.

Well when the film starts out...IDK...it was weird for me because there was action, but it seemed to be missing a musical soundtrack to go along with what was going on in the film. The 1st 10min felt kind of empty, but I did go to a viewing, so maybe music was added later...I hope. No worries though, because the movie soon picks up as all the men get introduced. I loved seeing some of the black actors, many we haven't seen since their younger yrs on now cancelled sitcoms. For the life of me, how does Method Man keep getting cast in movies. Not to say I don't enjoy him, he is just always a surprise, and so random...lol.

Oh Cuba it is so great to see you on the big screen again. I need to see more of you my love...smh. I was so elated to see Cuba in this movie. This man is flawless, and I kind of wish there was more of him in this film, but then again, I guess there was enough. Unfortunately, the last 7 movies Gooding was in all went straight to DVD, and so far he has nothing in the future after Red Tails...smh...So WHAT!...Gooding you are still amazing in my book! Cuba stars alongside Terrance Howard, who is stiff as always. Ok maybe not as stiff as previous performances, but this man is tight faced and shouldered when he acts right...lol. Regardless, he still does a great job. There is one scene that clearly shows how much larger his one eye is compared to the other. I'm sorry, I had to share because I couldn't stop looking at it...lol.

The story and action were decent, although I felt there was a lot of down time in between. Luckily the story is moving enough to keep you interested. But the meat and potatoes are the actors portraying the Tuskegee Airmen. See below ( an extra few images for the ladies ;)

You have Nate Parker who plays "Easy". Ooooohhhh absolutely gorgeous! But as much as I like Nate Parker and respect him as an actor, this was my least favorite role for him. This is the first time I felt he did not connect with the character, and it felt like he was "acting". It didn't help matters that he resembled a young Denzel Washington from the Malcolm X movie when Malcolm had that conk in his hair. You watch it and tell me he doesn't look like Denzel...lol. I wanted him to be stronger, but was a bit weak in my opinion...eh.

Another actor who had my eyes jumping is the English born actor David Oyelowo who plays "Lightning". Ummmmmm for the life of me I could swear that I have never seen this gorgeous face before in a movie, until I realized he was also in "The Help" and "The Rise of the Planet of the Apes"...nice. He had to be my favorite in this movie. I honestly drooled over every scene he was in...smh

I can't finish my man pie without adding the cutie patootie Tristan Wilds...omg his smile is infectious. Wilds plays "Ray Gun" aka "Jr". There is nothing to dislike about Wilds in my opinion. He has a boyish quality that he can't escape, which made the grown up idea of his character seem a little unbelievable. But I guess in that day and age it shouldn't be hard to believe that a 20yr old is married with kids, but unfortunately Tristan looks 15yr...lol. Wilds was great as always, and I look forward to seeing him more on the big screen. But for any of you who need a fix, you can catch him on CW's 90210.

There were a number of other young black actors who completed this cast like Ne-yo, who actually wasn't as annoying as in his last movie, Kevin Phillips (Pride), Elijah Kelley (Hairspray), Marcus Polk (Roll Bounce), and Michael B. Jordan (Friday Night Lights). Red Tails was cool, the cast was great, and not just to look at ;)...B-!

2 comments:

  1. The dogfights are fun but everything else is filled with corniness, lame acting, predictable story arc, and moments where the film feels like a video-game rather than based on a true story. A great story to be told, but told in a very poor way. Good review. Check out mine when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Predictable story" of course it it's predictable. We all know how this story plays out. I think the problem with this movie is poor writing and directing as opposed to "lame acting". I agree that the story could have been told better, and it has, but Im sure from a female perspective, the movie is going to be better for me than you...lol...Im just sayin

    ReplyDelete