Monday, December 12, 2011

Movies in Review: "New Years Eve"

Wow critics didn't give this movie a chance at all. There was nothing but hate for this movie from the gate. If anyone suffered through the catastrophe of a movie "Valentine's Day" last year, then its not hard to see where all of the hate is coming from. Gary Marshall who directed V-Day, took the helm as director for this one, but I am happy to say, with a better outcome.

I don't know why it's necessary to put a bunch of A-list actors in a movie. Seems like movie power overload to me...but it seemed to work. Somethings that I enjoyed about this film as opposed to Marshall's earlier attempt was that this film was actually funny. The audience really seemed to enjoy themselves. This is a romantic comedy, that was not short on the laughs at all. I liked how the characters stayed in their lanes, and no one seemed to outshine another. My favorite characters were played by Sarah Jessica Parker, Josh Duhamel, Hilary Swank, and Sofia Vergara (she was hilarious). I thought the story was super cute, and lets face it, there is nothing like New Year's Eve in NYC. Some parts of the stories were far fetched, but you'll just suck your teeth and continue watching.

Some parts I could have done without...lets start with Zac Effron laying it on too thick and trying to act too cool. They could have eliminated Lea Michelle. I'm not a fan of hers anyway, and she just appeared fake. They could have also eliminated Ashton Kutcher too. I mean was his story really necessary. He wasn't funny, and he looked bored being there. I think they could have given Michelle Pfeiffer a little more Va Va Voom. She was too meek and homely, which she didn't play well. As a matter of fact she was starting to remind me of "Carrier". I didn't care for Ludacris either. He was stiff, and what type of NYPD officer was he? And that makeshift family they gave him at the end was ludacris...pun intended...lol.

It was super cute, but more geared towards the female audience. Ladies this is a good one to check in the theatres if you have some "me time" to spare. Fellas you will be ok waiting for it on DVD, or on demand. Its nothing like "Valentine's Day"...its better...B-

No comments:

Post a Comment