Thursday, December 22, 2011

Movies in Review: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

I'm sure you guys already know this movie is based on the famous book trilogy by Stieg Larsson. You guys should also know that NO, I've never read any of these books, but after seeing this film I think I would like to put it on my wish list...hint hint. This is the 2nd film adaption for this trilogy. I didn't hear much about the first version except that it was a Swedish version that wasn't very good. When I viewed the trailer for this new version I was absolutely captivated. I loved the mood of the trailer, and the soundtrack, and it didn't hurt that Daniel Craig was cast as the lead. I dig Craig, except for that last dismal movie (the title escapes me) that he was in...but anywho...

If you are like me and have not read any of Larsson's books, let me be the first to tell you that the material is not for the faint of heart. It is deep with sexual violence against women. So if this isn't your cup of tea then this is your warning to stay away from this film because it is definitely graphic. The sexual violence was a bit overwhelming for me...smh. It looks as if the film tried to depict the violence the best way they could, and I think their point was sent well, but I'm sure the sexual violence is more prevalent in the book.

Mara Rooney co-stars with Craig as Lisbeth (the girl with the dragon tattoo...duh). Rooney, in my opinion, deserves awards for this role. She looked and acted so unlike herself. If you guys think you don't know who she is, she is the actress who plays Eisenberg's girlfriend in the opening scene of "The Social Network"...yep, that's her. What an amazing transformation. She looks absolutely sick, and a young woman who has been through some stuff. You won't believe what she endures in this film...crazy.

For the most part I really enjoyed this movie. It was filled with drama and mystery that kept you interested. It is however almost 3hrs long! Waaaaaayyyy too long for a movie. Quite honestly, they could have cut 20min from the beginning of this movie, where they keep switching back and forth between the lives of Craig and Rooney's characters. Some of the scenes just seemed like they could have been eliminated because of lack of relevance. They could have also cut the extended part at the end. You'll see what I'm talking about when you see it. You think the movie is over, then it feels like they started another totally different segment. I honestly was bit lost at the last portion, but I think that had alot to do with the fact that I had to pee...lol

So fair warning...you have to have the time to see this movie. Please use the bathroom before entering the theatre, and do not order any large drinks. All of this would make for a pleasant viewing of the film...lol. Seriously though, I liked it, and I now want the book version...B+

2 comments:

  1. If you have Netflix I think the Swedish version is Still on there. I enjoyed the trilogy but could tell there were parts missing from the book without reading the book. It was good enough for a cold Sunday afternoon while cooking chilli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gf of mine also just told me I should see the original, and that she liked it too. Now Im hearing all this positive feedback, where there was none before...lol. After my gf's comments though I have made plans to see the swedish version. Thx for chking my review out!

    ReplyDelete