Monday, December 12, 2011

Movie in Review: "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"

This film has received top-notch reviews, and was sold out at everything theatre showing it over the weekend. Ummmmmm...I don't know if I would give it such high marks. Perhaps it would have benefited me to have read the novel first, or maybe the material was over my head...who knows. All I know is that I found the movie a little hard to follow. I wasn't the only one though. As the audience seemed enthralled in what was happening on screen (myself not included), three people behind me heckled the film before finally leaving. Before the door closed I heard the man say "This is worthless". I can't say I disagreed, as I sat watching the last half hr of the movie.

Can someone please tell me why everything was so fragmented. What was the point of jumping from one scene to a different scene, often several times without any dialogue taking place. Was this meant to build something, because I missed it. Why did the keep showing scenes of "Smiley" swimming in a body of water? The movie felt like it was done in a whisper, with very little words being spoken. When there was dialogue, it all sounded like double talk. Gary Oldmans character "Smiley" didn't even speak until about 15min into the movie, although he was in every scene. This is a movie where you have to look beyond the words being spoken. For example the sweat from the waiters head. Bill Hayden played by Colin Firth red socks and untied shoes as he's in "Smiley's" house. A glance and picture of Bill & Jim....ummmmm...can someone clarify if there was some type of relationship with these two?The color palette for the film is very monotone, but it was fun to see how the incorporated pops of color slightly, a bold red, a bright teal.

As far as the movie is concerned, from what I got out of it, it was a double agent type of spy film. It all seems to come together at the end, but a good portion of relevance of it all was lost in translation for me. Someone tell me WTH happened to control? I saw him in the tub, but what was that about? Why was everyone staring at Control and Smiley when they left in the opening scenes. I mean I get it to a point, but were pieces of the whole story missing in order to save time. Again, I think maybe if I read the book I would have a better understanding huh? I don't want to say that I didn't like it. I enjoyed most of it, and I loved the art of it. I think most of you will walk out of the theatre feeling like a refund should be offered though. Wait until this one comes out on DVD. At least this way you can rewind back when you feel like you've missed something...B

No comments:

Post a Comment