Monday, May 28, 2018

Movies in Review: "Solo: A Star Wars Story"

I think I say this every time I'm sitting here writing a review for one of these films, but again, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, although I have enjoyed that last few films over the last couple of years. My enjoyment for the last few films was likely the only reason I went to see this Solo film, that and Donald Glover...ijs. Unlike the other previous Star Wars film, was I the only one who wasn't that impressed with the trailer for this standalone Hans Solo film? I think I was discouraged by the young actor they cast to play Solo (originally played the remarkable Harrison Ford). Was anyone else feeling Ford's character was miscast looking at the trailer? I was hoping his performance in the film would be better than the trailer, although I wasn't banking on it.

It seems I wasn't the only one who had issues with the you actor Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) during filming producers hired him an acting coach because they were unhappy with his performance...smh. Sooooooo...why did he get cast? Anyway, in the film he was ok. However, it was hard to see him as Harrison Ford, making him feel a little out of place...eh. Ehrenreich doesn't ruin the film as there were great performances to be had around him, especially from Glover. I swear they couldn't have cast a better actor to play Lando. I was truly like watching a you Billy Dee Williams. He had the voice and mannerisms on point. I just wish he had more screen time. He was one of the more entertaining characters. I feel like other Star War's films have stories that have more depth than this one, however this one shined with a faster pace and some action sequences that will have you on the edge of your seat. This film had a number of issues during filming, even changing directors over halfway through filming. With scenes having to be filmed again, there were some parts of the story that had to be cut. Michael K. Williams was supposed to have a part in this film but was unable to reshoot his scenes due to scheduling conflict. I would have love to see what he would have brought to the film ~shrugs.

I liked this movie, but I know I would have loved it had they cast the lead better. I enjoyed the pace of the film and found it entertaining, but the plot lacked the depth of other Star Wars films and made this movie feel like its own separate entity with the Star Wars name attached to it...ijs...B

No comments:

Post a Comment