Monday, May 28, 2018

Movies in Review: "The Gospel According to Andre"

I was lucky enough to catch the trailer for this film the week before it was released. I think I came across the theatrical poster for the film first, and it immediately caught my eye. Andre Leon Talley is an eye-catching individual, so no surprise that a poster with his face on it would have me stop on the street and gaze. I have not seen or heard much from Talley in a few years. When I watched the trailer an overwhelming feeling of emptiness in the fashion industry came over me. I forgot how I have always been in total awe of this man, and he is one of my inspirations for pursuing a fashion career. He is inspiration that the industry is now lacking, and I didn't realize this until after seeing the trailer, which gave me chills. Yaaaaaassssssss...we need to see this story. I was ready.

I cannot tell you how much I loved this movie. To just get an inside glimpse of what this man was about and how he made his career what it was, was truly inspiring. I love that he was unapologetically Andre. I love that he understood his roots and that he was a black man, but always represented himself as a man first. He took his passion by the reigns and made himself who he was. I am inspired by his intelligence for his art, and his true love of beauty and fashion. It's in his blood. It's hard these days to find anyone with that much passion for what they do. A true passion for anything is the spark that makes the flame and lights the fire...I need that. His life from the outside looks amazing to us, and what dreams are made of, and he says throughout the film that he was totally focused on his career, it was his everything. However, we also see that because of this passionate focus he missed out on other parts of living. The last scene in the movie is the best picture of what he sacrificed to have the life that he had.

The Gospel According to Andre is a must see. This film had me enthralled and I wasn't ready for it to end. You will smile, laugh, and may even shed a tear. It will inspire you and also shed a light on what it takes to become an Andre Leon Talley...A!

No comments:

Post a Comment