Monday, May 14, 2018

Movies in Review: "Breaking In"

There are so many things that catch my attention for any film. Most of the time it starts with the theatrical posters placed on walls or streets that catch my attention first. I'm only bringing this up because it is not usual for a theatrical poster to turn me completely off from a film, but the poster for this movie would have to be the first. I absolutely hate the movie poster. It looks cheap and corny, which only made me feel the movie would be the same ~shrug. I did see the trailer and was mildly unimpressed. The story definitely looked like pieces of other films I had seen before, however Gabrielle Union as a lead was intriguing enough for me to reluctantly watch this movie. So, with low expectations I went to see it.

Just as the theatrical poster, the movie was cheap and corny. There were so many plot holes in this movie I sat there wondering why any of it was all happening ~shrug. If the story had stronger character development, it would have been 10x's better. Although the story sucked, there were still some decent performances from the 2 young actors who played Union's children, and a really great performance from Union. I was quite surprised, but Union definitely did her thing in a movie that really wasn't worth her time. This was an action thriller with fairly predictable outcomes...eh.

I admit some scenes had me on the edge of my seat, but I think I was more excited about Union doing her thing. If you are a Gabrielle Union fan and just want to see her in action, then catch a matinee, or just wait until this one hits Redbox. Union was great, but this movie isn't anything exceptional or worth 1.5 hours of your time...C-

No comments:

Post a Comment