Monday, May 14, 2018

Movies in Review: "Life of the Party"

Although her last few films have been less than her best, I still love me some Melissa McCarthy, especially in comedies. I watched the trailer for this film and had a few good laughs. Although I was going to see this movie anyway, the laughs the trailer gave me had me optimistic this movie would satisfy my funny bone. There weren’t many new releases this weekend, but this was the movie I was definitely looking forward to seeing the most. I had about average expectations, I just needed a laugh.

This movie was far from great, but it did have more than a few laugh out loud moments which bumped up its value. McCartney was on one in this film. Some of my favorite moments was the dance scene, and the scene in the restaurant where Maya Rudolph's character had me pissing in my pants. Maya was a hoot in this film. Sometimes I find her comedy in films to be a little over the top, but she and McCartney really worked off each other well. As much as I wanted to hate her, the actress who played the real estate agent Marcie had great comedic delivery and got more than a few laughs from me. I thought the younger actresses in the film were just ok...eh. Although I did favor the sorority sister that was in a coma. She made some of the funniest faces on screen.

I wish I could say I loved it. I did laugh...a lot, but there were still some comedic moments that weren't as successful as others. The movie could have used stronger direction and a better script. You will definitely laugh, and be entertained, so It's at least worth a matinee???...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment