Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Movies in Review: "Unlocked"

I've been having a blah movie experience these past couple of weeks and was hoping this Noomi Rapace thriller would fill me up. I watched the trailer I was definitely on board for this one, as it is well cast with a few of my favorite actors, and Rapace never disappoints in an action sequence. Critics were rating this one poorly, but I was certain they had gotten it wrong again, there was no way this movie could be that bad. I had about average expectations when I walked into the theater. I just wanted to walk out feeling better about movies again.

I was right...the movie wasn't as bad as critics made it out to be, but it wasn't great either. Many of my expectations were met, but this story just missed the mark in so many ways. The story was really kind of juvenile, and had definitely been done before. It sort of felt like I was watching a Jason Bourne-ish type of film, but with a female heroine. Rapace was great, but this movie was not up to her level. Her action sequences were everything, but the story was so weak, the A-list cast couldn't save it completely. This film had a running time under 2hrs, but still felt long and drawn out. The ending was shallow and predictable which definitely took away from what they built up to this point...meh.

This movie wasn't horrible, but I don't think it's worth any more than paying $5 for ~shrugs. The actions sequences were decent, but this film missed the mark in so many other areas. It just didn't feel like it was enough. Unfortunately I still walked out of the theater feeling a little empty and unsatisfied...C-

No comments:

Post a Comment