Monday, September 25, 2017

Movies in Review: "Battle of the Sexes"

I didn't see a trailer for Battle of the Sexes, only the theatrical poster. However this is all I needed to see to know that I was definitely interested in seeing this film. I had no idea what it was about, but being a huge fan of both these actors work, I would bet money that I would enjoy it. It was later that I found out it was loosely based on the tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs...cool. Knowing this didn't change my expectations as they were already pretty high. I was ready to see a good film, and I knew this would do the job.

I really enjoyed this movie, mostly because of the performances from all, but especially Stone and Carell. Steve Carell did his thing, and not only looked like Bobby Riggs, but it felt like he was the real deal. The same for Emma Stone. This film is loosely based on their tennis match, but a story that we all needed to see. You could tell the film embellished some things for drama, as the plot felt weak at times, but the performances outshines any holes you might feel it had. My only complaint would be that I felt like they focused too much on Billie Jean King's affair...but that's just me.


If you are a fan of Billie Jean King and her work to get equal pay for women in the sport then you will enjoy this film. A story that needs to be seen, as reform needs to be had across the board and the way women's roles are perceived still needs to change. This film may open a few eyes...A-

No comments:

Post a Comment