Monday, November 7, 2016

Movies in Review: "Loving"

I was completely drawn to this movie when I watched the trailer for the first time. It is known that I am a sap when it comes to love stories, but one based on a true story holds even more weight for me. What makes this story even more interesting is that this love story changed the laws against interracial marriage. With a number of my friends currently in interracial unions, I had to see the love story that was a part in making this a right. I had some expectations going into this film that I was sure would be met.

All expectations were met, although not really exceeded. I loved the story and wonderful performances from the cast. But the story lacked the power I thought it would have. The story was very harmonious throughout, but I felt it could have used a little kick. I found myself saying a few times "is this it?"...but it wasn't. The story got better as it went on, but still felt like it needed something. ~shrugs. The chemistry between Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga made up for what the story lacked. They were great on screen together, and after seeing the people they were portraying, it was remarkable how they captured their likeness. The film was very well cast, and one of my favorite performances from Edgerton.

The story was very long and a little too sweet, but still a joy to watch. To think that this case made it possible for you to love who you choose without race as a factor was nice to see on film. I think the story, although lacking power, was beautiful and very well done, and I would definitely recommend it...A-

No comments:

Post a Comment